Monday, September 08, 2003

Dive Report: Sunday 9/7/03 Blue Heron Bridge PBCRRT Research Diver ITC and Photography

Photographs:
http://www.geocities.com/tiswango/0309blueheron/

How to dive Blue Heron:
http://www.wadespage.com/D800DS06RF01.shtml

Map of bridges:
http://www.pbcrrt.org/Training/Inwater_1.shtml

ITC Report:
Charlie and I showed up at 5:30 PM for the 7 PM high tide. The water was nice and clear, but flowing rapidly in. Snorkelers collecting tropicals were swimming hard to make it back to the entry area. We decided to put our gear together, go for a quick snorkel and then Wade should be there for the class. Our goal was to learn the orientation program Wade has developed from the Palm Beach County Reef Research Team. We want new team members to get a taste of the task loading involved while being in a controlled environment. For this mission we will load up the new diver with three times the tasks of a normal dive to show them how important it is to hear, record, understand, and perform directions underwater.

The key to the dive plan is the briefing, which started at 6:15 PM. Wade handed us our slates, pencils and we stood under the bridge. First we had to demonstrated an understanding of how to use a compass. We pointed to the cardinal directions and matched the map to the layout for the task briefing. All tasked and directions of travel were marked down on the map.

1. Measure the distance and heading between four bridge footers
2. Measure the distance and heading of two sides of the Southern footer
3. Place a fish station marker off the West side of the third footer
4. Navigate to the established fish counting locations
5. Perform 10 minute fish count
6. Inflate safety sausage from 15ft at the end of the fishing pier
7. Tow sausage surface marker to bridge and navigate home through the center footers

We geared up and hit the water. Wade issued the tape for measuring, stake for marking, and hammer. These tools did not come on retractable clips and are not easy to swim around with as they are very negatively buoyant. Charlie and I hit the footer and already there was some confusion on the first task. A little writing on the slates got us squared away and Charlie took the measurement and then I did for steps 1 and 2. We checked our answers in with Wade and moved on. Then we moved to the 3rd footer and found a spot to start hammering away. We passed again.

The navigation for #3 was fun, we left from the correct position, but when we got to the fishing pier it wasn't evident if we hit the 2nd or 3rd row of pilings. The map wasn't identical to the location, or we might have swam at more of an angle. This is true to real life were our maps are Good, Ok, hand drawn guestimates, to "Well I heard from someone who dove this 3 months ago..." After another discussion, we started our count and swim out the pier to the 6th row and headed for the fish counting location. We both got on-site and passed. Since Charlie and I are both fish counters, we fast forwarded 10 minutes and moved on.

The sausage deployment was a bit tricky. You have to unwrap 20ft of line before you can inflate the sausage. In the real word you could let the line dangle below you at the 15ft safety stop. We had to be careful to pull the line out and not get it tangled. I choose to "hand fan" the line away. Charlie, being much smarter, put the clip on the bottom and unwrapped the line out as he swam away. One good breath sent the sausage up. I didn't leave any gas in my lungs for the reg purge, but a quick block and tap on the purge button got me gas again.

I wrapped the extra line around my left hand and started the last navigation exercise home. I wanted to keep the line tight so we wouldn't get tangled. But my compass was on the left forearm and I didn't check it on the way in. Halfway between the rows of bridge footers I switched the line to the other hand and checked my heading, almost North, I was supposed to be going East. Charlie and I hit the next set of footers and regrouped. We made it back to the exit in good fashion and only lost a couple of points off navigation.

We passed! Currently there are over 10 people waiting for orientation so now we four trainers we can start knocking the classes out.

Fun Dive Report:
We still had 20 minutes of diveable conditions before the current started ripping. Wade is a pro at the bridge and I wouldn't try to guess how many dives he has under it. Charlie and I decided to tag along while Wade shot some photos.

First improvement was following the seawall from the entry point to the debris under the fishing bridge. That is where the striated Frogfish was spotted the day before, but we didn't have any luck. There was a ton of fish packed under that wall. The current had reversed and we were swimming in to the warmer freshwater as it mixed with colder seawater making for some interesting visibility. We headed West under the bridge and that cleared up the visibility problem.

We got back to the rubble field and there was were all the action was. I got out the camera and snapped a Hairy Blenny, Arrow Crab, Blue Crab, and some garbage. I noticed Wade's modeling light being waved up and down and went over to check it out. Wade found an Octopus out in the open posing. I fought off the urge to jump in and waited for him to shoot a few photos before I got mine. Wade's buddy Pam likes to play with the critters. She tried to get the Octopus on her hand, but it was feeling shy. These creatures amaze me in how they change color and move. There's nothing to them! They can contort into any shape and their very strong and intelligent. Pam got two tentacles wrapped around her hand and tried to coax it out before it holed up under a ledge. Play time was over.

I found a few more good critters, with the exception of a Sharpnose pufferfish that would not pose for me. I was able to get me finger within a inch of the hogfish and then take a photo, Eric's technique for night hunting works wells! We decided to exit and found a horseshow crab scampering across the bottom. I headed it off and turned it towards Wade, but he was out of juice for the camera. I got a few shots. These things look like little tanks. Now I have to find a the website to report the mating observation.

Blue Heron could sure use a cleaning crew. There was crap all over the place. I found a Barracuda head near the rubble pile that was disgusting. There is glass all over and I found a bike chassis on the way out.

Overall it was another great dive in the wacky world living underneath Blue Heron Bridge.

Want to dive Blue Heron for fun? Here's a great "how to" page:
http://www.wadespage.com/D800DS06RF01.shtml

No comments: