Saturday, October 11, 2003

Dive Report: 10/11/2003 SFL-DIR Night Datura Ave. Beach Dive

Photos:
www.geocities.com/tiswango\1011datura\index.htm

Team A: Matt H., Andrea V., Mark D.
Following Team: Joe T., and Mica (SP)
Team B: Ralph F., Alex B., Charlie G.

Surface Support and valet parking: Mike W. (sporting his new OMS baseball cap direct from Dema)

Seas: 1ft
Clear Skys
Air Temp: 85 degrees
Current: Slight South
Time: 8:01 PM
Depth: 18ft
Run Time: 1 hour 44 minutes
Water: 82 degrees
SI: 9 hours 10 minutes

As Saturday went on, more and more people came out for the night dive, including the Mark from Fill Express. We filled the wall at Datura with gear. After 4 days at Dema, Joe T. was ready to hit the water. Mike showed up with his OMS hat on (he wouldn't pose for a photo) and decided he would rather go see a movie then dive with us.

I asked Mark, "how much Helium (HE) are you diving today? Mark explained his "used gas" he would be diving. He boosts leftover tanks into his LP 120 all week, tops it off and analyses the mystery mix.

We swam out to the second reef and found lots of creatures to play with including an octopus, green sea turtle, sea urchin, lobsters, and two hogfish big enough to feed the hole dive gang. Eric S., where are you when I need you and I'm hungry? Joe and Mica also get attacked by a school of small Lookdowns. The fish were asleep and swam right into them, too funny.

At 53 minutes we turned the dive at the probe marking Hibiscus Ave. We covered a lot of ground and no one was at turn pressure yet. On the way back Mica and Joe took turns turning off their light and giving me a heart attack as I lead the dive and counted lights to keep track of everyone. When I got too far ahead I shot photos of boxfish for grins.

Swimming across the sand from the first and second reef line, I was down to three lights. I stopped and found Joe and Mica, I tapped my back up light and gestured "turn on Joe". He waved me off as he was enjoying the full moon. I whipped out the wetnotes, "Please, have one light per diver so I don't loose anyone." After the dive, Joe said he was impressed with my politeness in writing. We also found a young Yellow stingray that had a bite taken out of its right side. I also found a flounder while waiting for the team to come back together.

The ocean looked like black oil reflecting the white ripples of moonlight. On the surface swim out, the moon rose out of the water on the horizon as an orange ball. After our rinse and pack we headed to Mulligans for dinner. I was ready to pace out at 11:15 PM since I was up at 5 AM today. Joe and Mica still had desert and we left before Midnight.

--Matt

No comments: