Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Blue Heron at Shark Valley National Park


IMG_1286
Originally uploaded by tiswango.
Sunday we explored Shark Valley National Park. Click to photo to see all 60 on Fickr. Since my diving has been cut back due to life, I've found a way to get the same "nature high" that I got from diving. Fish Identification was based off the model of Bird Identification that was set up in the early 1900s. I"ve purchased some binoculars "bins" starting with small 7x25 and moved up to a pair of 10x42s. I'm still in the cheap bins category, but they are water proof and fog proof for under $100, I've been watching the sales at West Marine. :)

Bird watching also syncs up with my love of photography and my exercise of choice, walking. I've started writing down goals and ow I keep finding myself doing activities that fullfills multiple goals at at the same time. This is my secular definition of developing a deep soul.

Shark Valley is a 15 mile round trip trail. Since we had the boys we opted for the $16 2 hour tram ride that includes a stop at the observation tower. We all had a great time. This Blue Heron photo was my favorite of the trip. Greg Coley had a D40 with 70-200 f2.8 on the port side of the tram and I had my XTI with older 80-200 with 1.4 converter off the starboard side. We had this trip covered!

We also saw blue herons with their breeding "mullets" on. Snowy Egrets with black legs and bright yellow feet. I also saw my first Glossy Ibis. I missed the King Fisher as we drove by. I learned the difference between the Anhinga and Cormorant as well as they are very similar.

And there were gators everywhere. I've never been so close in the wild. I missed the shot of the mother and babies at the end of the tour. It started to rain and we were starving so I'll have to go back for that shot.

I can't wait until the boys are old enough to spend the day biking the trail!

$10 per car load into the park, good for 7 days. $5 per person to walk/bike in.

$16 per person for Tram

2 blocks West of the Entrance is Miccosukee "Mucco Secco" Indian Tribe with fry bread for Lunch $10 per person

Air boat Rides $10 per person.

Humm, Ebay has a used Canon 400MM f4.5 for $1,100, but don't tell Andrea! I need to start trading some more stocks.

No comments: