Sunday, April 20, 2008


Aphids on the Milkweed
Originally uploaded by tiswango.
My first garden pests, the Aphid. They had taken over all the stalks of my Scarlett Milkweed. They don't do much harm, but they make a mess of things and eventually a lady bug will come along and start munching on these little guys. I didn't have the patience for that. So I took my favorite scuba diving multi tool (defog, leak detector, drysuit seal lubricate, shampoo, body wash) and sprayed it on the aphids killing them as well.

My first application took at 90% or so of the little buggers. I hosed them off while watering tonight. I'll check the plants out tomorrow to finish of the few die hards.

Who knew a squirt bottle of baby shampoo and water could be so useful!

I do have to be careful and not spray any caterpillars or larva as it will kill them too. I haven't seem my two caterpillars recently so I'm not concerned.

No comments: