Monday, April 21, 2008

Our housing-bubble hangover - MSN Money: "Our housing-bubble hangover
All those interest-rate cuts aren't making it any easier for the average Joe to afford a house. There's no simple remedy for the aftermath of a borrowing binge."

Wall Street - Bear Stearns - JPMorgan Chase - Ben Bernanke - Jamie Dimon - New York Times: "Bleakonomics"

Since taking my investment course, I've been following a lot more about what is going on in the economy. Like any sporting event, its not fun unless you keep score. Now that I have a home, 401K and investments, I care what is going on. Right now I'm sitting in cash and money markets as the economy drops that past six months.

If you don't understand what is going on, the two articles above do of good job of explaining the current situation and its effects.

Now that the word "recession" is coming out, it will be big news, the question is when will the recovery start. It will happen long before the news "reports" its occurrence.

Generally a recession takes a 30% cut out of the Dow Jones. Right now its been hovering around 15% off at 12,500. I'm looking for it to hit 11,500 as a signal that the truth has set in. The great thing about the market is the truth has little to do with it.

I'd love to read your opinions on this subject?

--Matt

No comments: